News and Rumors
News and Rumors
After two goods seasons and exceptional crops, the summer heat has arrived. It’s been 100 F every day, and there’s been no rain for three weeks. There have been several grass fires lately. The largest one was near Talar. It left several square miles of scorched earth. The Oswald Orchard is installing some sort of irrigation system stemming from the river. It looks good on paper, but we’ll see if the results justify the costs.
The mild winter and spring seasons resulted in some good exports this year. Even hunting in the Witchwood is up. Sales of food and fur have put extra coins in a lot of pockets. Though the Marooned Schooner (tavern) and College of Ioun are trying to garner their share via “cold” drinks and higher tuition.
- Lord Jarmaath may be putting one of his rental properties up for sale. Lady Mesha has moved to Dennovar. Some say the loss of one of his mistresses has caused the maintenance of the other one (Lady Trellend) to go up.
- Thorfin Ironhammer (local smith) is boasting a new technique for tempering steel. He says his blades are now stronger, more durable and hold a better edge. No doubt they cost more too.
- Oswald’s Orchard needs strong backs to dig ditches and haul gravel.
- The Hammerfist mines need hard workers. Benefits include shade.
- Drellin’s Ferry has started construction of a stone bridge. So much for the ferry.
- The Golden Lions are offering a free two-week training camp to members of the militia, both to better the current members and boost their numbers.
- Even the (wanted) Bandit Lord Lucien is hiring. Skilled professionals are needed for some mildly dangerous work. Working for Lucien earns a trip to the stockades or even possibly the gallows, but some folks whose scruples take a back seat to their interests, it beats baking in the sun all day working a field.
- The Midsummer Day festival was a bust this year. The clergy of Pelor tried to promote the celebration of the sun, but apparently it was too damn hot.
- The Halfling bard, Vericho Nindleton, is playing at the Blue Parrot. There’s a small door fee, but it’s worth it.
- Diamond League Day is coming up next week. Every day, more merchant caravans and entertainment troupes show up, as this is the biggest economic event in the Vale all year round.
News from Abroad
- Red Rock reports a lot of Giant Owls moving between Witchwood & Marth Forest. The Elves must be up to something.
- A band of adventurers from Dennovar came through Brindol a few days ago. They’re headed to Rhest for some “cleanup and salvage.”
Crime & Danger
- Bandit activity in the area is higher than normal, especially south of town. Several Blacksmiths’ shipments from Hammerfist have completely disappeared.
- There are reports of ghost activity in the Southwood again. Travel there after dark at your own risk.
- Kip Fargrim was arrested for larcenous activities. Fargrim’s whole gang is suspected of having connections to Lucien. This gang has been a nuisance to the PC’s for years. They are bullies and thieves. The gang of six is lead by the Thompson twins, Corvin & Ivan.